Does the blower motor resistor control AC?
The blower motor resistor is an electrical component that is a part of the vehicle’s heating and air conditioning system. It is responsible for controlling the blower motor’s fan speed.
What does a resistor do on a blower motor?
Blower resistors are resistors which are used to control the fan speed of automotive blowers. The fan speed can be changed either by switching the blower resistor resistance mechanically using a rotating lever, or electronically by the air conditioning system.
What are the signs of a blower motor resistor going out?
Here are some of the warning signs of a bad heater blower motor resistor:
- Fan does not work at all, so no air comes out of the vents.
- Fan only works on some speeds and not others.
- Fan only works on the highest speed.
- Fan runs all the time and can’t be controlled with the fan switch.
- You see smoke coming out of the vents.
What does a blower control switch do?
The blower motor is the electrical switch on the interior of a vehicle that allows the driver to control the vehicle’s heating and air conditioning system. It is usually built into the the same control panel that houses all of the AC system controls, and is labeled with numbers and symbols to indicate blower fan speed.
What happens when a resistor fails?
When a resistor breaks down, current typically flows through the burnt resistor without any resistance and thereby passes unchecked. Other components in the circuit may become damaged from the excess current flowing through.
Do blower motor resistors get hot?
Yes that resistor will get very hot. Most people don`t know this but it is faster to defrost the windshield on low or medium fan speed due to that resistor putting off heat. Also that resistor needs to be cooled off with the air flow or it will burn up .
How does one test the resister on the blower motor?
To test a resistor or motor, you’ll need to know the basics of electrical circuitry and have access to a multimeter and the proper electrical specifications for the involved circuits. Testing whether there’s power flowing to the blower in the first place is a good way to rule out a bad motor.
How to test and replace your blower motor resistor?
– Weak airflow from the vents. One of the first symptoms of a potential problem with the vehicle’s heater blower motor is low airflow from the vents. – Fan only blows at certain speeds. Another symptom of a bad or failing heater blower motor is a motor that only functions at certain speeds. – No air from the vents.
How do you replace a blower motor resistor?
– Disconnect negative battery cable. – Remove right lower instrument panel insulator panel. – Disconnect blower resistor connector located behind right side of dash. – Remove blower resistor screws and blower resistor.
What is the function of a blower motor resistor?
The blower motor resistor is the component directly responsible for controlling the fan speed of the blower motor. If the resistor shorts or fails, the blower motor may become stuck at one fan speed.